OCTAE Announces the Release of Making Skills Everyone’s Business: A Call to Transform Adult Learning in the United States
Posted on 02/26/2015
The Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE ) has released a new and long awaited report, Making Skills Everyone's Business: A Call to Transform Adult Learning in the United States . The report, originally slated to be released in April of 2014, "lays out seven strategies for establishing convenient, effective, high-quality learning opportunities."
"It challenges those of us in education to work more closely with employers to prepare students for in-demand jobs with advancement potential," write Ted Mitchell, U.S. Under Secretary of Education, and Johan E. Uvin, Acting Assistant Secretary of the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, in a Homeroom Blog post . "It challenges employers to work more closely with educators to ensure effective training programs that lead to meaningful skill development. And it calls for making career pathways available and accessible everywhere, an effort that will be aided by the implementation of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)."
Seven core strategies are outlined in the report . They are:
- Act Collectively to Raise Awareness and Take Joint Ownership of Solutions.
- Transform Opportunities for Youth and Adults to Assess, Improve, and Use Foundation Skills.
- Make Career Pathways Available and Accessible in Every Community.
- Ensure That All Students Have Access to Highly Effective Teachers, Leaders, and Programs.
- Create a "No Wrong Door" Approach for Youth and Adult Services.
- Engage Employers to Support Upskilling More Front-Line Workers.
- Commit to Closing the Equity Gap for Vulnerable Subpopulations.
Making Skills Everyone's Business: A Call to Transform Adult Learning in the United States is available from OCTAE . Updates will be posted regularly to OCTAE's Blog which will be used to report on developments in this initiative. Updates will be tagged with the words "Making Skills."
LINCS Discussion: Helping Adult English Language Learners Who Have Learning Challenges
Need help assisting your adult English language learners (ELLs) who may have learning challenges thrive...
Program Available for Technology and Distance Learning Symposium 2015, Register Now
OTAN and San Leandro Adult School invite you to two days (March 13–14, 2015) of...
February Issues of OTAN's Administrators' and Teachers' Digests are Available
The February 2015 issues of OTAN's two informative digest are available in the Professional Development...